Pages

Sunday 1 December 2013

Gellan from CUISINE INNOVATION - what type is it?

Short, boring and technical post today. Gellan is a gelling agent that you will often find in modernist recipes. My local store,  Sousvide Norge sell a product called Gellangel from Cuisine Innovation her.

But when I read recipes, for instance in the Big Fat Duck Cookbook, there are two different types of gellan. There is Gellan F and there is Gellan LT100. Gellan F is described as a low Acyl gellan, and Gellan LT100 is, you guessed it, high Acyl gellan. The difference is that Gellan F creates hard, brittle, clear gels, while Gellan LT100 creates elastic, non brittle gels.






So what about the Cuisine Innovation product? From a bit of research tonight I have learned that it is Gellan F, which is what I was looking for. That means I can actually try out Heston Blumenthal's Hot and Iced Tea!

Coming soon to a blog post near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment