Pages

Thursday 10 July 2014

A Tuscany adventure - #5, Merenda!

Merenda!

I did write that the Italians eat colazione (breakfast), pranzo (lunch) and cena (dinner). It turns out that that is not the complete picture. Between these meals it seems like they have a tendency to run off for a little snack, and these small in-between meals are, according to informed sources, called meranda. While strolling around in the small town of Calci, 2 km down the hill from Montemagno, I suddenly felt a bit 11-o'clockish and set my bearings towards a small bar called Andreoni.

As this was way past colazione time, I thought the bar would be more or less empty on a Thursday mid-morning, but entering it I found that half the town was queuing up for a small little something and a cup of coffee. The counter was filed with all kinds of small and large pastries. I ordered a small something and a cup of hot chocolate.

Now, those of you that like chocolate should try this. Those of you that do not should definitely stay away. This hot chocolate is not for the faint hearted. This is not some cheap powder with lots of milk or even water. This is melted chocolate with just enough liquid so that you can drink it. Think hot chocolate sauce. I love it. It is almost a meal in itself. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment